Dental implants have revolutionised the field of restorative dentistry, offering a durable and natural-looking solution for missing or damaged teeth. As the demand for dental implants grows, so does the variety of dental implant brands available in the market.
Choosing the right implant brand can be a game-changer when it comes to restoring your smile. With the myriad of different dental implant brands available in the market, making an informed decision can positively impact your smile. This comprehensive guide aims to explore the best dental implant brands, their global market share, and what dentists recommend for a successful dental implant procedure in Perth.
My Implant Dentist’s Preferred Implant Brands
Neodent (part of the Straumann Group)
When it comes to dental implant brands, Neodent is a name you can trust, and is responsible for creating some of the world’s leading dental implants. Founded in 1993 by Dr. Geninho Thomé, Neodent started out in Curitiba, Brazil, where they focused on manufacturing implant products, instrumental tools, dental equipment, and prostheses. Five years later, Neodent became the first Brazilian dental implant company to have its products recognised and certified by the Brazilian Ministry of Health.
Over the following years, Neodent went from strength to strength, until launching one of its foundational products, the Cone Morse Implant System in 2006. Neodent continued to launch innovative products, including NEOPOROS® (a cutting-edge solution for surface treatment) and the hydrophilic surface Acqua™ released in 2010 and 2012, respectively.
Neodent was then acquired in 2015 by Swiss implant and aesthetic dentistry powerhouse, Straumann (currently one of the top 10 dental implant brands). This acquisition led to worldwide expansion as well as the launch of two of Neodent’s flagship, high-quality dental implants: The Grand Morse Implant System, and the Neodent® Zi Ceramic Implant System. These stellar products are the culmination of Neodent’s 25+ years of research and development in the dental implant industry.
Also known for its Locator dental implant abutment, Neodent offers quality solutions with affordable, competitive pricing. Neodent is now the second-largest dental implant company in the world, with annual worldwide sales of more than 1 million implants; Neodent has firmly established itself as one of the most sought-after dental implant brands in Australia.
Southern Implants, headquartered in South Africa, has been a trailblazer in the dental implant market since its inception in 1987. Southern Implants offers innovative solutions to the top-end market sector, focusing on providing extensive options for professionals.
Southern Implants stands out for its technological advancements in dental implantology, as well as its long-standing history in the industry. Southern Implants prides itself on its use of unalloyed, pure titanium Grade IV dental implants, while noting that for 20 years, their implants’ surfaces are “enhanced with the Southern Implants abraded SInergy Surface”.
Since 1987, Southern Implants has been delivering a range of implant solutions, all research-backed and clinically tested, including roughened surface implants, surface enhancement, zygomatic implants, wide-diameter implants, molar replacement implants, narrow-diameter implants, mini implants, nazalus implants – the list goes on, emphasising the unique yet extensive range of specialised products and developments Southern Implants has created and innovated over the last 35+ years.
Australia’s Top 10 Most Popular Implant Brands
- Leading presence in the US dental market.
- Offers a wide range of services to dental practitioners globally.
- Notable share in the treatment planning software market.
- Established in 1954, known for research, dentistry manufacturing, and biomaterials.
- Products are innovative, durable, and safe.
- Products, including implant systems, are relatively expensive. At My Implant Dentist, we believe it’s worth it to pay for the best quality implants, that’s why Straumanns’ Neodent implants are our top choice.
2. Hiossen (Osstem Implant)
- Dominant presence in the U.S. and globally.
- Focuses on customer satisfaction and invests heavily in research and development.
- Exports implant systems to over 70 countries.
- The focus on customer satisfaction might sometimes lead to a premium pricing strategy.
3. Zimmer Biomet
- Leading provider of medical devices.
- Maintains quality, integrity, and safety for patients.
- Offers state-of-the-art products and provides training and education to dental professionals.
- Products might be on the higher end of the price spectrum.
- Some customers have reported that their product range is not as extensive as other brands.
4. Nobel Biocare (Danaher)
- Highly experienced in dental implant systems, offering products in various shapes and sizes.
- Aims to empower dental professionals globally and provides training and education.
- Nobel Biocare implants are expensive.
5. Dentsply Sirona
- Formed from the merger of two companies in 2016, they have significantly developed their business.
- Offers innovative investments and high-quality products to dental professionals and patients worldwide.
- The merger in 2016 might have led to some initial hiccups in terms of product consistency.
- Some users have reported that their customer service is not up to the mark.
- Established in 1994 in the U.S., offers a range of implant options.
- Focuses on service, science, and innovation.
- Provides various implant systems and maintains good relations with clinics.
- Being a relatively younger company, they might not have the same level of global recognition as some other brands.
- A French company established in 1992, focusing on new technology.
- Offers the latest technology to the dental community.
- Prioritizes simplicity, reliability, and quality.
- In a 2022 dental implant brand study, Euroteknika and IDI Système implants were noted for their nanometric-sized surface roughness, believed to expedite the osseointegration process, enhancing the biomechanical resistance of the implants, thereby promising quicker recovery and improved stability in dental restorations.
- Being a smaller player in the market, Euroteknika does not offer as extensive a implant range as other more established brands.
- A Korean brand established in 2002, focusing on solving challenging problems.
- Brings innovation and quality.
- Offers various models to meet different needs.
- Being a relatively new player in the market, they might face challenges in establishing a strong global presence.
- Dental professionals usually prefer brands with a longer history in the industry.
- A dentist on the Osseo News community mentioned: “with Megagen I believe that the threads are a bit too aggressive”.
9. Implant Direct
- Pioneering brand that allows customers to buy products online.
- Offers training and education in addition to selling implants.
- Provides high-quality prosthetic and restorative solutions.
- In a discussion thread on the Dental Lab Network forum, several dental technicians expressed their dissatisfaction with Implant Direct, particularly concerning delays and backorders.
- Leading brand in Turkey, offering design, functionality, durability, and a wide range of options.
- Products are relatively more affordable compared to European and American-based companies.
- Being primarily based in Turkey, there is a lack of recognition for the DTI brand, and customer support may also be challenging.
What to look for when choosing a dental implant brand
When choosing among dental implant brands, it’s important to consider several factors such as quality, affordability, innovation, research backing and the implant material. For instance, some brands focus on the development of materials that facilitate faster healing and better osseointegration – the process whereby the implant fuses with the jawbone.
Titanium and ceramic dental implants have different advantages and disadvantages, making the choice of dental implant brands crucial. Titanium implants are widely renowned for their biocompatibility and durability, whereas ceramic implants are known for their aesthetic appeal but do not always offer the same level of durability as titanium.
Other than the physical implant, selecting the right dental implant brand also involves the dentist’s expertise, patient needs, and clinical requirements. Many sources will recommend top dental implant brands like Nobel Biocare and Straumann, which offer high-quality dental products backed by research; however, they are not the only implant brands available – not by a long shot.
It’s also important to note that the cost and quality of a dental implant brand are closely related – as with other products, you’ll often pay higher prices for higher quality. Moreover, when considering your dental implant choices, you’ll also need to think about compatibility with other manufacturers’ components. Your dental professional will be able to advise you on the best dental implant brands and any compatibility issues.
Global Market Insights
Fortune Business Insights and Mordor Intelligence indicate that the global dental implants market size is currently valued at approximately USD4.5 billion and predict that the market size will increase to about USD6.8 billion between 2028 and 2023. Notably, Grand View Research projects this figure to be in the range of USD9 billion by 2023.
Mordor Intelligence also indicates that the top five major dental implant manufacturers in this market include Straumann AG, Nobel Biocare Services AG (Danaher Corporation), Zimmer Biomet, Dentsply Sirona, and Henry Schein Inc. Furthermore, according to the Straumann Group’s 2022 annual report, their global market share has increased from 29% in 2021 to 30% in 2022 – solidifying the group’s position as the market leader.
Interestingly, per Grand View Research, North America holds the greatest share of the dental implant market, with 35.5%, while Asia Pacific is cited as the fastest-growing market. Grand View Research notes that this is likely due to stabilising economies, increasing disposable income, and technological developments within the dental implant industry.
Does dental implant success depend on the brand?
Yes, but only to a point. The brand (as well as the dental implant system) definitely plays a significant role in the success of dental implants, as the quality and materials used will impact the rate and success of osseointegration.
Some brands add very particular features to their dental implants to enhance the surface, such as Neodent’s hydrophilic surface, which aids osseo